What my Papa told me about Guitars
How to Change Bad Habits in Playing the Guitar
In the course of learning to play the guitar, many people develop bad habits which are disturbing and inappropriate to people.
These bad habits are easy to overcome once the person realizes that he has them and becomes familiar with the proper way to play the guitar.
Here are some easy steps to follow that will help overcome those bad habits.
1. The person must realize his weak points. This will help him easily identify the habits that are causing him difficulties when learning to play the guitar.
2. It is suggested that the person stop playing the songs or music where his bad practices usually show up.
One suggestion is to go back to the basics of playing the guitar. It may take months to remove the bad habits but by practicing the correct way, the person will be able to overcome them.
3. Once realizing the bad habits that were developed, the next step is to analyze how he got to that point.
It will help him analyze what he was doing improperly that led to acquisition of the bad habits.
5. The person should take a step to reverse the bad habits and one way to do this is to analyze the reason he developed the habits in the first place. Once he becomes aware of the bad habits,
he can perform alternative behavior to replace the bad habits and go back to the basic enjoyment of playing the guitar.
6. The person needs to make sure that he performs the alternative behavior whenever he plays the guitar.
It is important that the behavior is effective so that he will not be tempted to go back to the bad habits.
The person should be consistent in doing these steps to overcome the habits and before he knows it, he has rid himself of those habits.
He can then go back to the usual music he used to play and he will see that all the bad habits are gone.
Changing bad habits into good ones is not as hard as it may seem. It does require patience and perseverance to be able to get rid of them and learn the proper way to play the guitar.
Guitar players should learn to play with the correct techniques and strategies so that they will not develop these bad habits.